Monday, October 27, 2008

26-Oct-08

The housemates are coming home from Gulu today, where they’ve been since last Thursday, so I’ve been performing the typical chores to get the house ready for their return. I cleaned and straightened up the living room. I hauled in rainwater to the dishes. I carried the trash out back, doused it with kerosene, and then tossed matches at it till fire burst forth. (That is a great chore for a pyro like me.) All this I’ve done while attempting to contain nausea. I don’t feel well. I hope I don’t have Hepatitis E…

Last night I had dinner with Hilda and Lisa; today I’m going to Monica’s house for an early lunch.

I was wondering through town yesterday, searching for a cheap box of red wine, when I can across a group of people staring at something on the side of the road. Among this group was Monica. I asked what was going on – Monica said a biker had fallen and they were checking on him. Most of the people in the group were children, but this wasn’t really a surprise, since 50% of the population here is younger than 15 years old. Monica and I began walking down the street. “Oh look! There’s another one!” Monica giggled. She pointed at the side of the road to the tall grasses that had grown in the drainage ditch. I sidled over and there was a body of a man, face up, eyes closed, mouth open.

“Oh my god,” I said. “Is he alive?”
Monica just laughed.
“Is he… drunk?” I asked.
“Yes, drunk,” said Monica. “Probably.”

Contrary to what you may think, this just made me decide I reeeaaally needed a glass of wine… I left Monica soon after to continue my search for my cheap box alcohol.

I don’t know what I should bring to Monica’s for lunch today. I don’t know what the custom is in Acholiland. I barely have any food in the house. My stomach hurts. I feel so sick. Ugh. What I’d love is a nice warm shower. Or better still – a bath. A bubble bath. And clean linens. Fluffy towels and soft sheets. Room service. A grilled cheese sandwich. An apple. Mozzarella sticks. Chocolate mousse. A vanilla milkshake. My mum to make me her French toast with Vermont maple syrup. Mm. Instead, I’m drinking ORS, which always makes me feel nauseous anyway, but which is (theoretically) healthy for me when I don’t feel well. Instead, I’m putting on red lipstick, black eyeliner and blush, so I feel sort of alive while I’m being social at Monica’s for lunch.

No comments: